Wednesday 6 February 2013

RECIPE: Peanut chicken and green vegetable spaghetti


I am an absolute peanut butter fiend, which any avid blog followers (I imagine you exist) may have noticed in my baking (see the bottom of this post...) However, I've not done much in the way of savoury dishes featuring the nutty food of the gods, but I'm still exploring my inner culinary goddess and experimenting. It was only a matter of time before peanut butter would make an appearance.

Said appearance occurred today. I invented this recipe ce soir, and am ridonculously glad that I did. It tastes a lot better than the above picture looks, might I add. The peanutty satay sauce is deliciously sticky, and has a lovely flavour that is both salty and a little sweet at the same time. I had mine with wholewheat spaghetti, but of course you could go for rice or noodles. Equally, feel free to mix up the veg. Anything goes! Well, maybe not anything, but you get my drift.

Whipping this up earlier tonight, I was reminded just how therapeutic I find cooking. Give me an empty kitchen, ingredients, the opportunity to get creative and follow my instincts, and I'm a happy bunny. Especially if I concoct something as yummy as this dish.

This recipe makes a large portion for one person - I am now absolutely stuffed, but in a good way. Happily stuffed, you might say. Of course, you can easily multiply the ingredients to serve a crowd. Full of veg, lean chicken and complex carbs, it's really quite a healthy option too.


Ingredients

90-100g wholewheat spaghetti (one person's worth)
a handful broccoli florets
a handful green beans, chopped into thirds
a splash of oil
2 spring onions, washed and chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed or chopped into tiny bits
1 chicken breast, cut into strips
3 tbsp peanut butter
3 tbsp soy sauce
a handful roasted salted peanuts


Method

1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the spaghetti, adding the broccoli and beans for the last five minutes. Drain and remove from the heat once tender.

2. Whilst the above is boiling, heat a splash of oil in another pan, then add the chicken, spring onions and garlic and fry for a few minutes until the chicken is browning, stirring constantly. Turn down the heat and stir in the peanut butter, soy sauce and a few tbsp water until you get the desired consistency. Keep stirring it all around (adding more sauce if desired) until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the peanuts.

3. Once cooked, mix the chicken and sauce with the pasta and veg. Serve on a plate, feel very pleased with yourself, and enjoy.


Like the look of that? Well then you will probably also like these recipes... Come join me in my peanut butter madness:

Banana and peanut butter muffins with chocolate chips and hazelnuts

Triple Layer Chocolate, Nutella and Peanut Butter Celebration Cake

Chocolate peanut butter biscuit cake with HobNobs, Malteasers and raisins

Chocolate peanut butter granola bites
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig