Saturday 18 December 2010

My search for the perfect party dress... continues.

You have to imagine the title being read by The Apprentice guy - it sounds much more exciting and dramatic.

In two days time I'm due to be going to a very swanky black tie partay, which I'm super duper excited about (cause hey - I love a good social and a chance to dress up!), but I would be a hell of a lot more excited if I didnt feel like I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!  Obviously that's not in the slightest bit true. I have a whole wardrobe full of dresses (No, really. I do. One wardrobe literally wholly dedicated to dresses), but the trouble is that half of them don't fit me anymore (one of the major downsides of dropping a couple of dress sizes), and the other half just aren't right.

Considering there're so many people in the world who have basically nothing, I know I shouldn't be complaining, and this all sounds a bit ridiculous.


Exhibit A: 2009 party

Let's take exhibit A: a gorgeous Ted Baker dress I got from Bicester Outlet Village last year, and wore to my school Christmas party. As you can see it was a bit of a snug fit, but hugged my former curves in a good way (well, I thought so anyway - keep your comments to yourselves!) I had been hoping I might be able to wear said dress to said party. Apparently not. Lets regard exhibit B: me trying on the dress a few days ago. As you can probably see, it needs taking in by a good couple of inches. Grrrr...

Exhibit B: 2010
Not to be too annoyed by this, I realised it was as good a reason as any to shop! So off I went. Unfortunately, I had very little luck.  I hit the High Street hoping not to exceed my budget of £30 - what with sales, student discounts and it coming to the end of the party season, I thought that was do-able.

I coudn't seem to find anything that I liked, was the right size, and the right price. I did come close in New Look though. A gorgeous, silky, flowy, assymetrical dress in a rich burgundy, jewelly, wine tone. (I know, I'm good at describing. Naaat!) And the best part was that it was in the sale at just £18! "Success", thought I. Oh how wrong I was. I tried it on, but it didn't fit. Typical eh? Went back to the sale rack, only to find that it was the last one left. There was the same dress in the right size, but in purple... but I just couldn't buy it. The reason - I seem to be sprouting purple dresses left, right and centre, and reeeaally don't want another one. Purple, or plain black. I have so many LBDs, and for Christmas, want something a bit more exciting - is that such a crime? Why is it so hard!?

So, the current situation is that I'm a little bit dressless. But I suppose that's what kind sisters and friends are for (sorta relying on them anyway!) Or if not, I suppose I'll find a way to breathe some new life into an old dress and hopefully make it work.

Wish me luck! Or maybe I'll have to go shopping again... Quelle disastre!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig