Tuesday 8 June 2010

Maximum Love For Maxi Dresses (See what I did there?!)

I'm not sure where this all started... probably on designer catwalks numerous seasons ago for all I know... but maxi dresses have invaded and taken over British high streets for Summer!  It's strange.  I could have sworn they were never that popular a year ago, but now, you can't step out anywhere without seeing maxi dresses-a-plenty on young laydeees (usually worked with the equally ubiquitous cropped denim jacket... this is England afterall, not Spain.)

I have to admit that I am a bit of a convert myself, having bought my first ever maxi dress a couple of weeks ago.  I've always thought of me ole legs as my best asset, so have been a mini wearing girl for as long as I can remember.  It takes a serious shift in the alignment of the planets to get me covering 'em up!  And so, my first ever maxi is this little (well, little-ish) beaut from Topshop:

Isn't she preeetty?  And for a mere £35 (£31.50 with my student discount!), I could hardly just walk past now, could I?  It has a sexily understated low-but-not-too-low back as well, which I rather lurrve.  On this same occasion, I also purchased some rather fabby tan sandals (okay, I had a bit of a Topshop spree... don't judge me, I'm only human!), which I think will go with said maxi just perfectly for day. What I particularly like about this one is that it's not too long.  I'm about 5"9, so not exactly short, but I didn't want to be forced to wear heels every time I wanted to wear my maxi (as I'm just not an everyday heel wearing kinda gal).  This one stops just at the ankle, so still does look lovely and dressy enough with heels in the evening.  And that's what we like, isn't it?  A dress with multiple options and ways to be worn.  (Students aren't exactly made of money!)

So what is it about maxi dresses that have stolen the heart of the nation faster than Cheryl Cole did?  We're all dreamers.  We put one of these gorge-issimo, floaty, boho, airy-fairy babies on, and BAM! we're practically lounging on the beach, pina colada in hand.  They are versatile too: dress up, dress down, throw on over a bikini (probably best saved for when you actually are on holiday though, not for a stroll down to Nando's.)

I also really like the idea of the maxis that are less boho, made of a sort of jersey, T-shirty material (alright, I don't know all the clothing materials, you've caught me.)  A couple of months or so ago I saw a fahbulous thick purple and white striped version in H&M, but I had to rush off, and the next time I was back, quelle surprise, said maxi was no longer.  (Which brings me to another point... WHY DON'T H&M HAVE AN ONLINE SHOP!? It's VERY infuriating!!)

Sorry about that little outburst.  Calm down, Stellar, calm down. 

So let me know what you think!  Where have you found your fave maxis? What do you think of the whole trend?  Have you been a complete sheep like me and followed the crowd?  And heck... I'll probably buy another one before too long!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Handbags and Cupcakes. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig